Monday, September 5, 2011

Just checking in

I'm doing fine up in Mussoorie. I've been very busy with classes and I've simultaneously been working on my survey for my research project. I'm living with two other student researchers and the apartment is working out wonderfully. We have a great view of the mountains and it is just a 30 minute walk to class (although entirely up hill.) There is a large family who invited us over to dinner on Saturday night, which was a lot of fun, except that there is a very distinct language barrier.

I've been feeling a little better--the cooler weather up in Mussoorie has been very refreshing. It's also nice to be living in a little city rather than the suburban area in Dehradun. I can go three feet outside our apartment and get milk, eggs, clothing, rugs, stationary--pretty much anything.

The one thing that I don't like about Mussoorie are the tourists. I don't get harassed as in Jaipur, but yesterday I saw a lanky American man, with a pony-tail, wearing a yellow kurta, and holding a pink Indian-ish handbag, and drinking a beer while he walked around Mussoorie. It's a little embarrassing how Americans and Europeans behave in India. Some people act like it is a constant Halloween party.

But other than that, I like Mussoorie a lot. The language teachers are great and I am having a lot of fun exploring the hills in Landour. I just hope that my Hindi is good enough to get around in Joshimath when I head out there!

Best wishes,

Erica

1 comment:

  1. Hi love! Glad you're doing well and the area sounds beautiful...excited to see pictures! And unfortunately I think there will always be obnoxious American tourists wandering around...at least people will meet you and know that some of us are sane.

    ReplyDelete