Thursday, September 29, 2011

Sameer versus Sagar: The Internet Saga

As any of you who have traveled to India might know, there are these USB drives that can hook your computer up to the internet. They are actually more common than WiFi. The companies however, know that they are providing a relatively new service that pays out big for them. In fact, that's probably why these same companies make it difficult to access WiFi. So I now have three of these things, which are not cheap, because each one keeps having some service or connection problem. Most sane people would have just gone without internet for awhile, but given that I'm in a long-distance relationship AND I'm applying to medical school, I am not sane. Not this year anyway. I have one that can have any SIM card in it, which is good for traveling. I have a Reliance Netconnect and a Tata Docomo. The Docomo I just use for skype, because it is 3G and can actually support skype, although it is pretty expensive, so I try not to use too much data on it. As of yesterday, both my Reliance Netconnect and my Tata Docomo stopped working. Have I mentioned that I'm going to the field tomorrow? Needless to say, I was upset. I went to Sameer's Telecommunications, which sold me the Tata Docomo and Sagar's, which sold me the Netconnect. Both told me that it would be fixed by the evening. As of 10:30 AM they were still not working. Here are the events that transpired.
--Sameer's--
Erica: I came here yesterday and Amir told me that my papers never got delivered.

Sameer: No, they are having the papers.

Erica: You weren't even here. They don't have the papers. Amir called and asked them to pick them up.

Sameer: Yes, the boy is coming... (I at this point assume that Sameer does not have telepathy, and therefore cannot suddenly realize that both the paperwork is not where it should be and the boy is running to go get them.)

Erica: I am leaving for Joshimath tomorrow. This needs to get fixed.

Sameer: (blank fish-like stare) Joshimath tomorrow... (goes over to computer and begins fiddling with my USB drive...begins calling company, but says nothing as he tends to five other--MALE--costumers.)

Erica: (after waiting seated for five minutes, walks up to counter and beings staring at Sameer.)

Sameer: (wondering if girl with significantly higher percentage of muscle mass might kill him): Are you going to Wildlife Institute?

Erica: No, I am staying here until it gets fixed.

Sameer: (making no attempt to actually fix anything): Please be seated

Erica: No. I want to watch you fix it.

Sameer: Actually, it will not be fixed for sometime.

Erica: How is that possible? Amir told me that it would be fixed yesterday.

Sameer: It did not happen, because I was not here.

Erica: (Finding it hard to believe that anything would get started because of Sameer) Amir talked to the guy who was supposed to pick it up. He just didn't do it. You need to talk to him now.

Sameer: It will work in sometime.

Erica: When?

Sameer: 11:30

Erica: If it is not fixed by then, then I am never recharging here again.

Sameer: (blank fish-like stare) Okay

Erica: I will be back at 11:30. It should be fixed.

Sameer: (now completely dissociated): Okay

--Conversation about netconnect at Sagar's---

Erica: I have bad news.

Sagar: It's still not working?

Erica: Yes

Sagar: Let me call the main office. (calls main office) They are not picking up. If you do some work at the Institute and come back, I can tell you what they say. Leave your USB number here, so that I can give it to them.

Erica: Okay, thank you.

--End scene--

So, you see it's not the waiting that gets to me. It is the fact that costumers here only have to buy something once and then most vendors never care if the product actually works. Sameer also is consistently rude to me, while Amir is consistently really nice. However, there seems to be little pattern to when they are working. If I could just work with Amir, then I would probably be fine. But Sameer just stares at me and lies. And then I call him out on it and he immediately changes his story to only lie again. I don't like being a mean person, but I feel that aggressive behavior is the only way that people, wait, sorry, no WOMEN get anything done here. I recently read an article about power women in Delhi and Mumbai. They all said that they had to "roar" if they were ever going to be respected, while their male colleagues just had to go out for a drink with the boss. It is very strange to alter your personality just to be treated as an equal.

1 comment:

  1. That sounds so frustrating!! That would drive me crazy as well. I would want to remain respectful while also being assertive and not allowing them to walk all over me... A difficult balance. I cannot say that I find too many issues with sexism in New York, but I can relate to being frustrating when things just don't get done and it seems that others can't do their job. It always baffles and disappoints me when a person is incapable or doing what he/she is paid to do (or simply refuses to do it)! The goal for me is to find a way to get what I need to get done, done, and not necessarily to make another person feel horrible that I'm not satisfied. I suppose this comes from my experiences at the restaurant. haha Anyhoo, I know you to be an assertive person and I have no doubt in my mind that everything shall work out for you in the end-. ;)

    ReplyDelete