Monday, September 26, 2011

Also, the college dorm experience doesn't translate here...

I attempted to keep a loaf of bread in the house now that the monsoons are over. Well, it turned into a rather fascinating microbiology experiment while I was in Mussoorie. It is still just damp enough that it didn't take long for mold to spread over the entire thing. I put it on the counter to remind myself to take it out and throw it to a group of piglets that are near my house. (Pigs can eat mold, right?) Jannat came in to give me a peace offering of Assamese-style fish. He saw the bread and basically told me, "I told you that food goes bad in India!" It goes bad in America too, Jannat, we just don't have a ton of purity taboos. He began freaking out again, but then seemed pulled back to his house by the fish that he still had to eat.

I should mention that I'm pretty sure that I saw the fish that they cooked being put out into the hot, Dehradun sun this morning when I went to the Institute around 8:00 AM. They just bought it now at 7:00 PM.

Moldy bread waiting to be thrown out is less dangerous than fish that has been transported to a land-locked city, left in the heat all day, and then consumed. Just sayin'.

1 comment: