Monday, September 26, 2011

The good part about going to Mussoorie this weekend

So I did go up to Mussoorie before all of this drama started. And I took a lot of pictures. I figured to post pictures in album form, I would try using a picasa album. So here is the link

  https://picasaweb.google.com/101737615291512796999/MussoorieAndASikhFestival

I went up for Nick's birthday, and the next day was a Sikh festival complete with mock fighting. It was a lot of fun to watch in the crowd--and I wasn't groped once!

In case any of you are concerned, I spoke with Jannat and Didi today. I also have been e-mailing with the landlord to see if I maybe missed a house rule. The landlord, who is in Nepal, said that Didi and Jannat actually don't speak much Hindi themselves. They speak Assamese mixed with Urdu. So, it is understandable that fights might happen with all these language barriers. Apparently, Didi spoke almost no Hindi when she came to Dehradun three months ago.

Given this information, I talked to Jannat and Didi and it seems that they had gotten a call from my adviser asking where I had gone, because he couldn't reach my cell phone. Jannat told him that I had gone to Landour for a friend's birthday. Obviously, Dr. Uniyal was fine with this. He saw me yesterday and today and was completely himself. But I think getting a call from an authority figure who doesn't speak your language was really stressful for Jannat. He told me today that --

"Uniyal sir pucche "Erica kaha hai?" (Dr. Uniyal asked, where is Erica?)

"Mussoorie gaye'" (She was to Mussoorie.)

"Uniyal sir puchhe 'Koi?'" (Dr. Uniyal asked why?)

"Apka dostka 'happy new.'" ( her friend's birthday...? This is where I start getting it that Hindi is not Jannat's first language.)

I would continue translating, but I really can't remember exactly what was said. Basically, I did not tell Dr. Uniyal that I was going to Mussoorie. He tried calling me and couldn't get through. I can only assume that he wanted to make sure that I wasn't being eaten by monkeys and called Jannat. Probably Jannat doesn't have a ton of liberties with his job, and thought that either he or I had done something wrong when I left. So, he was pretty stressed out when he got back.

Jannat is the oldest brother in his family and he sends half of his money home for his little brothers and sisters. He also just got married. I can only assume that he's clinging to his job for dear life, which I completely respect. He just kind of lost it last night. But we seem okay now, and Dr. Rawat--who I am renting the house from--said that he will explain more to Jannat when he comes back from Nepal for Diwali. That will hopefully keep Jannat from thinking that he will have to go back to West Bengal or that I will have to go back to America if I go to Mussoorie again without telling anyone.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad that everything went well and that you stuck to what you want to do and what you went to India to do: to live your life! Like your mom said, it is also good to maintain good relations, but you should be proud of yourself for standing up for yourself. That is something I would definitely hope to do myself, but that comes a little more naturally to you! It is a good strength to keep. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures, those Sikhs look tough! what's with the metal bandy type thing they're whirling around? Looks like it was a fun weekend and I'm SO glad you got a better bead on what's happening with Jannet and Didi. I guess it's part of what this trip is all about!

    Love
    Mom

    ReplyDelete