Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Time for pictures!

Hello all!

After being nice to several people who were trying to "help" me to get my internet working, I found that my Hindi is not good enough to be nice and I tried out Jersey City manners in Mussoorie. Now I have the best internet that I've had since getting into India. I might have to go to a different store the next time that I need help though.

I finally have enough speed to upload pictures for all of you. Also, my camera should be getting in soon, so there should be better quality before I leave Mussoorie. Actually, I'm in Landour. Mussoorie is often call the "Queen of the Hills" and Landour is called "The Princess of the Hills." Both are very nice, but I'd have to say that Landour is much nicer albeit we are in a cloud for half of the day. Literally, I can't look out of my window now, because it is just fog.

My Hindi teachers are pushing me very hard--everyone is worried that I won't be taking classes long enough to get a good foundation in Hindi. I have classes with Mr. Joshi twice-per-day. He goes from being very relaxed to asking me questions in rapid succession and telling me that I can never speak so slowly in the market place. He says that the works should all sound like one word. Honestly, after listening to Hindi for three weeks, I think he is onto something. Between those classes, I have Mrs. Nazareth who talks fast and writes fast. She writes grammar in my notebook so forcefully, that it feels like the Hindi is in braille after she is finished writing it out. She is the person who seems most concerned with my short stay in Landour. My first class is the most calm, I just focus on writing. Nevertheless, the writing is the part that I'm the worst in, so I do prefer my language and grammar classes to that. I'm thinking about trying to get a private tutor in Dehradun or I could try to come up here once-a-week for a private lesson. We'll see what happens. I would like to be more comfortable with the language than I am now.

I'm also finally getting a grasp on my survey. I'll post a draft once I send it around to a couple of people for feedback. I think the premise will be asking women if they had a specific problem during pregnancy or after pregnancy (i.e. bleeding, night blindness, pains, morning sickness, fever etc) and how they got treatment for the condition. I think that will be a better perspective of the degree to which someone will stay in the village for maternal/postpartum health care. I would also like to ask questions about gynecological health, but I doubt that would go over very well.

Being in India is getting easier. I am very happy that I have my own place, more funds, and relatively okay internet now. Last time was more intense, but it also would have been difficult to sustain for nine months. Also, I was with a group; and now I am with a few Fulbrighters, but not for long. I'll be doing my field work completely alone. It shouldn't be a problem, the institute that I'm doing work with has very good connections there. But I'm sure that I'll be happy for my nice apartment and internet when I get back from the field.

As promised the pictures are here, I hope that you like them!

PS All of these pictures were taken outside of my window!





3 comments:

  1. This is actually Darrell....The view out our window is pouring rain but no hurricane. The doggies are bored but they had a fun weekend in Bernardsville With Pete, Jenn and Shunderson. And I know you are very anxious to hear: the Tigers are in first place and doing well. Yankees, here we come!

    The view and I'm sure everything else is most amazing! Sounds like you are doing well on all fronts. Everybody here loves you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The hills and the trees are beautiful! Glad things are going well - keep working with the language classes and I'm sure things will keep coming back to you and becoming more natural, even if you're not always noticing it. I admire your independence big time and can't wait to hear how your research goes when you start it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You really are an amazing person. Even amongst your adjusting to a new culture, learning a new language, meeting new people, completing foreign paperwork, and starting your research, you made time to call me at 2am! Ahh, you made me so happy!! Erica, I miss you and am always so excited to read everything you write in this blog, and cannot wait to hear about your future experiences as well. Take care and keep the posts coming! -hana

    ReplyDelete