Wednesday, August 31, 2011

In Mussoorie

Hello all! I'm now in Mussoorie after finally getting my FRO paperwork complete. It's beautiful here--very lush pine forests with moss and ferns growing everywhere. I'm staying in Landour Bazar with two other Fulbright researchers. We're about a twenty minute walk from the school where we are taking Hindi classes.

Today I hoped on a bus to Mussoorie around 10:00 AM and got the the language school around 11:30 AM. I started classes at 12:10 and finished up at 3:10. I'm taking 3 hours of private Hindi tutoring per day for roughly 25 US dollars! The rent will also be pretty good--I'll probably end up paying around 100 US dollars for the three weeks that I'm sharing the apartment with Nick and Victoria. The apartments I should say--we're splitting two. The apartment that Victoria and I share over looks the hills and it is an amazing view. I'll post pictures when I unpack my stuff. The quality of the Hindi classes is also amazing, but it was hard for me to take full advantage today when I just got into town. In case you don't know, I'm taking classes at the Landour Language School, which has been teaching Hindi for over 100 years. Mussoorie is also a famous hill station, so it's a great place for me to wait out the monsoon weather in Dehradun.

Also, my USB modem is not working as well as I hoped it might. So that could cut down on my ability to communicate via skype. I'll have more updates on this possible catastrophe later. If worse comes to worse, I might just get a new USB modem seeing as carriers are so unreliable. It would be good to have a backup just in case.

My first class is at 12:10 again tomorrow. So if anyone wants to try to talk tomorrow morning (tonight for you guys) then let me know!

Kal malenge (sp?)

Erica

2 comments:

  1. Stop blogging and get to work! Also, I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want PICTURES!!!! WAAAAAH! Seriously, I love reading this blog. I hope you can keep it up when you are in Joshimath, though maybe the posts won't go through until you come back down to Dehradun.

    Love You

    Mom

    ReplyDelete