Friday, September 30, 2011

Bilingual Survey Complete

I don't care if I really should be doing open-ended interviews first! I don't care if my survey is based only on what other people have seen up in the hills! All I care about is as long as I find someone who reads Hindi, I'll have a translator who can help with my research!


Originally, my plan was to do focus groups or long, open-ended interviews before writing a closen-ended questionnaire. But my Hindi is not good enough to do that alone, and I don't know if I can find a female translator up in the hills who also speaks English. No one at the Institute has been able to find someone for me. So, I wrote this close-ended questionnaire, so that I could at least get some information. If I do find a woman who speaks English, then I will follow through with my original plan. But for now, I at least have this beautiful survey, which is in both English and Hindi!

I couldn't have done it without Dr. Uniyal and a very sweet PhD student, who did the translating. Although, he got very shy about some of the female problems that he had to translate...poor guy. I have uploaded one page, so that you can all see what it looks like. I'll try uploading the whole thing when I have a little more time. Right now, I have to make some copies of this thing!

2 comments:

  1. good luck up there! We are awaiting new pictures and posts! Uttarakhand is lucky to have you!
    love
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, the survey looks awesome! The Hindi looks like a work of art to me. haha It shall be exciting to receive the responses!

    ReplyDelete