Thursday, January 5, 2012

Missing the Bus to Joshimath Makes Erica a Productive Researcher

Well, the title says it all. I woke up at 4:00 AM this morning, but the autorickshaw driver did not. My autowalla thought that he should pick me up at 4:50 rather than 4:15 and I gave up all chance of making the bus. I could've taken the bus tomorrow; however a jeep is picking up people on the morning of the 7th, so I decided to opt for that rather than the cold, long bus ride.

This has been great for many reasons. Most importantly, it's given me time to catch up with my friends at the institute who I didn't see over the holidays. Secondly, I forgot to submit my mid-grant report, which was due December 30th (you've got to be kidding me.) This requires Dr Uniyal's signature, therefore it's really fortunate that I have time to do it and get it signed before taking off to the field.

Completing the report then spurred me to actually look at the data that I've been entering; and the result was a beautiful mid-grant report that doesn't look at all like I was drinking hot toddies and listening to Azealia Banks' "212" while writing it. (Please no one actually listen to this song, especially relatives. It is filthy and helps me to get through the ever sexually repressed Indian experience.) An example is finding an opened, unused pregnancy test in the girls dorm and listening to my friends dare each other to take it. That is preschool for NYC public school students.

For your pleasure, I have place a PDF of the unsigned report, so you too can be fooled into thinking that I was composed and analytical this whole time, rather than the emotional, Hindi-stuttering "pharenger" that I am.

I apologize that they're off center. That's the only way that I could keep them in the same sequence.


1 comment:

  1. Pretty good for a stuttering pharenger. I bragged on you AGAIN today while interviewing resident applicants. I can't help it.

    Love Mom

    ReplyDelete