Friday, October 7, 2011

Tickets bought to come back home!

Hello all!

I just bought my tickets to return home for med school interviews! I'm getting into Newark at 12:40 PM on Friday, November 11th and I'm returning (sigh) to India on Monday, December 12th. They were relatively cheap--although relative is still pretty expensive when you're flying from India.

I still haven't found a translator in Joshimath yet. I think that I might have to work with a man. I don't dislike men, of course, but it would be better to do women's health research with just women around. Oh well, I guess I'm up here because women do not have many services or opportunities, so I shouldn't be surprised that I can't find a woman who speaks some English up here. The women who do speak English, generally leave this area and go get work in Dehradun or Delhi.

I really love the family that I am staying with, they are such amazing people. Garhwal is totally different from Rajasthan. The women here are much more open, almost to a fault! When I was talking with some local women, one of the asked me if I smoke "bang," which is Hindi slang for marijuana. I told her that I didn't, but I was so shocked at her question that I asked her if she does. She claims that she doesn't, but I really doubt that, because why else would she have asked? Her next question was if I drink chai, and then invited me into her home for chai. So, I'm guess that's where the bang conversation was going to go if I had responded positively.

Also, the mountains are beautiful! I know that I'm not even around the most beautiful mountains. I'm looking into doing a trek at some point. I wish that I had know that I would just be sitting around here or else I would've planned one out when I first got here. But it took me a long time to adjust to being up here, so it is probably better for me to do it as a break from research. It is nice to know that I will be up here for so long, because it allows me to stay relaxed and allow myself to get used to the town rather than wearing myself out.

I am definitely happy that I choose this area to do my research in, because it is both visually stunning and socially relaxed. I am having a much better time now than I did when I was living in Rajasthan. Now, I wish that I could just find a translator!

Hopefully, I'll get a good enough internet connect to download some pictures soon!

Erica

2 comments:

  1. We are enjoying your posts Erica. Really amazing that you are there. we will be in NJ for Thanksgiving and can't wait to see you. Enjoy the mountains, they are my favorite places although I have never seen mountains like the ones in India. Hope you get a translator soon! Love, Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe I didn't read this sooner... I'm so glad to hear you've bought your ticket! I was thinking of doing a little traveling during that time, but now I think I will stay here. At least for a good portion of the month. :)

    It's very interesting that your experience in India is so different from the last time you were there! And I am happy to hear that it is for the better, especially after your very intense time in the post-bac program!

    Keep the posts coming~.

    hana :)

    ReplyDelete